Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Gloooom

Late January, eh... Okay, it could be worse. Maybe... I'm thinking snow might be better.  But rain, gray, rain and damp chill, and did I say gray? It was a gray day, and I was feeling gloomy. I had nothing to do or er nothing I wanted to do, and it was taking all day to do it, and it was a really long dayyyy.

I went to town. The business I went there for was closed. My wheels splashed through the streets and everything-- the cars, buildings, barren trees and brown grass looked soggy.  I sat at the stoplight and wondered what in the world I was going to do with the rest of the day.

And while I waited, school was letting out, and a big yellow bus pulled up beside me. I looked up and saw a kid about six with unruly hair. He was licking the window. Yeah, I know, it's gross, but it made me smile.  About halfway back another child's ear and cheek were pressed hard against the glass.  I could feel the cold, smooth glass against my own cheek, maybe forty years ago. I too was a kid on a bus. Two windows back, two lips smooshed in a fat ugly kiss taunted anyone who might look their way.

Their moms would die!

But they made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment